- About Us
- Diversity Statement
- Student Success
- News and Events
- Support Us
The Garman Art Conservation Department at SUNY Buffalo State seeks a Librarian/Archivist (Part-Time)
The Librarian/Archivist supports the Patricia H. and Richard E. Garman Art Conservation Department's collection of over 5,000 books and periodicals on cultural heritage conservation, art materials and manufacture, scientific analysis, imaging and related subjects, as well as maintaining the department archive. Working closely with the Faculty Library Liaison to set priorities and establish library and archive policies, and the Program Manager to purchase new acquisitions, the Librarian/Archivist reports to the Department Chair. This part-time position (15 hours/week) is paid hourly and does not provide benefits.
The Garman Art Conservation Department library is a non-circulating collection freely available to graduate students, faculty, and staff of the department and by appointment to the Buffalo State community. The collection is fully searchable online through the E.H. Butler Library catalog.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect and track faculty requests for new acquisitions
- Facilitate processing of new acquisitions by E.H. Butler Library staff
- Create inventories of donations and gifts for faculty review
- Coordinate the work of a student library assistant and ten students who rotate through library duty (shelf prep, reshelving)
- Maintain the stacks and monitor the environment, with student assistance
- Field student and faculty research queries
- Present overview of library spaces and procedures to incoming students during orientation each Fall Semester
- Introduce students to library research strategies (one lecture per academic year)
- Discuss research methods with second year students (one lecture per academic year)
- Help establish library policies
Archive (as time allows)
- Rehouse and arrange materials in department archive
- Describe archive collections and create finding aids
- MLIS from ALA-accredited program
- Familiarity with both library and archive processing standards
- Ability to work with graduate students
- Commitment to the educational goals of the Garman Art Conservation Department and SUNY Buffalo State
- Experience working in an academic library
- Background in art, art history, or related cultural field
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position to Anne Hoehn, Adminstrative Assistant, Garman Art Conservation Department, firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin September 15, 2018 and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Garman Art Conservation Department is committed to creating an inclusive environment and affirms the statements of diversity and inclusion of Buffalo State College, The State University of New York (SUNY), and the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC). https://equity.buffalostate.edu/mission; https://www.conservation-us.or... follow these links for more information about our graduate program, http://artconservation.buffalostate.edu/ and SUNY Buffalo State, http://suny.buffalostate.edu/about.
Back to Top